Tuesday, December 4, 2007

After going to see the Arc, Lucia had a class to attend, so I was: On my own in Paris for the first time! How exciting!

I made my way to the Musée Rodin. This museum is not vast, like the Louvre. It's very specialized & focused. I mainly saw works by 3 artists: Rodin (obviously), Camille Claudel (Rodin's apprentice & lover) and Vincent van Gogh (which was a surprise to me!). Apparently, Rodin was a van Gogh fan & collected his paintings.

Unfortunately, my camera's battery was spent by the time I got to the van Goghs, so no pics of them.
Number one with a bullet on any Rodin hit parade has to be The Thinker ('Le Penseur'). The first thing that strikes you when you see the Thinker is the SCALE of the thing. All of Rodin's works are larger than life.

He's gigantic. And heavy. You can feel his weight, just by sitting on the bench conveniently placed to contemplate him.

I spent about half an hour just staring at him and I have a theory what he's thinking about: The smile on the Mona Lisa. ;-)

No comments: